Pudu Jail was one of the colonial building remaining in Kuala Lumpur. It was built in 1895 by state engineer Charles Edwin Spooner. The prison is used to house criminals and drug offenders and as a location to administer corporal punishment through rattan caning. The prison is shaped like a butterfly or an X with three levels and 240 cells.
The faded, nature based murals along the prison walls was the first and largest murals according to Guinness Book of Records. It was painted by the prisoners using 2000 litres of paint.
Initially, Pudu Prison was designed to house 600 inmates but with additional cells, its capacity was increased to 2,000. Read more